Fair use gives users the opportunity to make reasonable and limited uses of copyrighted materials. Reformatting, cutting and pasting, uploading, posting, and many other common activities may be copyright infringements or may be within fair use.
A fair use determination should be made in the following types of situations:
- Uploading excerpts of materials to Blackboard/Moodle or another server.
- Pasting and copying materials into innovative teaching tools.
- Using materials for distance learning.
- Creating databases of copyrighted works for research.
- Sharing articles and other materials with colleagues.
- Developing digital collections.
- Copying and placing works on library reserves.