The Steven & Dorothea Green Library at Florida International University is looking for an energetic and service-oriented Virtual Learning and Outreach Librarian. This position will be primarily responsible for continuing to build and develop services for the libraries’ growing virtual instruction and reference services programs.
Reporting to the Head of Information & Research Services Department, Green Library, the Virtual Learning and Outreach Librarian will be actively engaged with various online/distance education initiatives while establishing collaborative partnerships with key stakeholders across the university and within the libraries. This person will closely collaborate with the Distance Learning Librarian, Instructional Design Librarian, Web Services Librarian, Digital Technologies Development Librarian, and Emerging Technologies Librarian in the coordination, promotion, and assessment of the Libraries’ services and resources offered to remote library users; including the creation of instructional materials, providing instruction via online tutorials or via learning management systems; and assessing the quality and impact of service at an individual and programmatic level. This position will require someone who has an enthusiasm for experimentation with emerging technologies and the ability to work in a dynamic team environment.
As a member of the Information & Research Services Department, the successful candidate will also provide general reference and research assistance; participate in the libraries’ information literacy and instruction program; and may participate in other departmental service activities and projects. Some evenings and weekends may be required. Some travel to other local FIU centers and locations may also be required. As a library faculty member, the Virtual Learning and Outreach Librarian is expected to participate in professional development, research, and service activities in order to meet the Libraries’ and University’s requirements for promotion.
- Establish collaborative partnerships with key stakeholders across the university and within the Libraries to extend online outreach activities
- Collaborate with Distance Learning Librarian, Instructional Design Librarian, Web Services Librarian, Digital Technologies Development Librarian, Emerging Technologies Librarian, and other library/university units to create online active learning instructional modules and provide off-campus student support for research and library services
- Coordinate and provide virtual reference services
- Provide library instruction using virtual delivery methods
- Participate in the delivery of in-person reference and instruction services
- Assess quality and impact of virtual library services to off-campus users
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science
- Demonstrated teaching experience, both in-person and online
- Experience with virtual reference tools and online course management/learning management systems
- Strong commitment to serving the needs of off-campus library users and willingness to advocate for their needs
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication, teaching, and presentation skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively across disciplines in a team-based, service-oriented environment
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to adapt well to change and the flexibility to apply new solutions to rapidly changing expectations
- At least one year of virtual reference experience at an academic institution
- Understanding of emerging technologies and their applications in an academic library environment
- Experience delivering teaching and learning modules in an online environment
- Experience with usability, user feedback, and user experience literature
- Evidence of collaborative decision making
- A second advanced degree in education, instructional design, or related field
Rank/Salary: Non-tenured faculty status; rank and salary are competitive based on qualifications and experience.
About the Libraries: For information about the FIU Libraries, please visit http://library.fiu.edu.
Review of Applications: Continues until the position is filled.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 506861 at careers.fiu.edu and must attach a cover letter, a resume, and the names and contact information for 3 professional references in a single pdf file. To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by November 30, 2013. All applications must be submitted on-line at careers.fiu.edu. Review will continue until position is filled.
All additional inquiries should be directed to Marissa Ball, Chair of the Search and Screen Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and is an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer.
Search & Screen Committee Meetings:
Meetings listed below are scheduled and will take place as needed. All meetings will be held in GL834 & HL323.
- Tuesday, 12/03, 2pm-4pm
- Tuesday, 12/10, 2pm-4pm
- Tuesday, 12/17, 1pm-3pm
- Tuesday, 1/14, 3:30pm-5pm
- Tuesday, 1/21, 9:30am-1pm
- Tuesday, 1/28, 9:30am-11am & 12pm-5pm